Friday, July 1, 2011

'HAPPY DOCTOR DAY' to all my Men In White


On this special day I like to pay my respect to a special soul.

WOMEN IN WHITE, Dr. Karen Woo: a selfless Doctor who was gunned down in Afghanistan’s badlands in the month of August 2010 when she was on her way to deliver medical care to the poor people there. Karen Woo believed there was no greater duty than to deliver medical care to the poorest people.

Dr Karen Woo described her experiences in Afghanistan In a series of blog posts. In Her last post, just before her death she wrote.

"Ultimately, I believe that the provision of medical treatment is of fundamental importance and that the effort is worth it to assist those that need it most."

A letter from John Gurski to Woo on a Facebook page detailing the expedition:

"Dear Karen, the idea of you doing this just terrifies me. I know you want to do it, should do it, and will do it, but the idea of you venturing into such a hostile environment really worries me.
"That said, I think that what you are doing is the most selfless, courageous act of anyone I know. I am SO proud of you, and I am honored to know you. I understand that you are not doing it for the accolades or praise… you are taking this dangerous trek to actually make a difference in this world and, quite simply, to help fellow human beings. So many of us shake our heads at the state of the world, wring our hands, and send off a donation to the charity-du-jour. You, on the other hand, are setting an example for us all."

THE INDEPENDENT article

'Happy Doctors Day' to you Dr. Keren Woo

No comments: